It is the most crystal clear and cool morning here. The kind of morning that screams at you to open your windows and do something useful. So, I am. I am drinking coffee and baking bread. The kids are excited because I told them they could play outside barefoot. For some reason, being allowed out without shoes is a thrill for them. I am writing this post to you while the bread is rising and between accepting barefoot kisses and lots of weedy flowers.
The other day I took my spool pincushion and turned it into a much larger version to make a fun patchwork pillow. I thought it would add a nice pop of color to my sewing room, but to be honest it hasn’t left Madeleine’s room since I made it.
Here is quick tutorial for it, so grab your scraps and let’s go!
What you will need:
2 strips of the same fabric both measuring: 13 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ – You will need to do this 5 times.
4 strips of neutral colored fabric measuring: 17 1/2″ x 3 1/2″
This pillow is sewn up exactly the same way that the pincushions are, so the instructions are exactly the same except for the first 2 steps, which I will write here.
1. Take one of each of your strips of fabric, and using a 1/4″ seam, sew them together lengthwise.
2. Repeat step 1 with the second strips of fabric, making sure to sew them in the exact same order.
Finish the remainder of the steps, just as you would for the spool pincushion starting at step 3.
I used Vintage Picnic fabric and linen to make mine. If you have any questions on any of the steps, feel free to let me know! I am more than happy to answer any questions. If you are on Instagram, share your picture with the hashtag #spoolsoftie. I would love to see what you make!
I originally started making these spools as softies for Madeleine. She loves everything in my sewing room and can’t seem to keep her hands off the pretty spools of color. I dream of the days I can fill her little hands with all sorts of fun sewing items and tell her to have at it, but for now my little one-year old is going to have to settle for sewing softies.
After making a couple I ended up liking these so much I wanted one for a pincushion!
What you’ll need:
5- strips of colored fabric: 1″ x 7″
4-strips of neutral fabric: 1 1/2″ x 4 1/2″
1. Using a 1/4″ seam, sew your 5 strips of colored fabrics together lengthwise. Open seams and press.
2. Cut your piece of sewn strips exactly in half, so each half measures 3 1/2″ lengthwise.
3. Sew a neutral strip on top and bottom of each set of colored strips leaving a 1/2″ overhang on both sides. (If you are making the jumbo pillow version, leave a 2″ overhang on each side.)
4. On one corner of the spool, draw how you would like your spool to be shaped and cut around that shape.
5. Fold the spool piece with the cutout top over sideways and in half to use as a pattern and cut out all 4 sides of your spool piece.
6. Lay your shaped spool piece on top of your second spool piece*, right sides together, matching up seams. Pin.
*No need to cut around second piece until after you have sewn them together.
7. Sew around entire spool leaving a small opening about 1 1/2″ on top, or about 5″ for the jumbo pillow. (You can mark the opening before sewing for easy reference, as seen above.) Trim. Clip curves. Turn right side out and press.
8. Stuff to desired amount. Using a ladder stitch, stitch the opening closed. (Click HERE for an excellent tutorial on the ladder stitch.)
Now step back and enjoy it!
If you have any questions on any of the steps, feel free to let me know! I am more than happy to answer any questions. If you are on Instagram, share your picture with the hashtag #spoolsoftie. I would love to see what you make!